We invite you to explore the possibilities of a career with Vancouver Island University. Known as a centre of excellence, Vancouver Island University (VIU) produces quality graduates who are in demand by employers across the country and around the world. VIU offers a supportive campus community focused on innovative teaching methods, undergraduate research opportunities and creating an exceptional learning experience for our students. VIU’s rich history and connection with its communities dates back to 1936 when Nanaimo’s first vocational training school opened its doors. Today, VIU offers an extensive range of programming, from industry-responsive trades and applied training to academic undergraduate and graduate degrees. VIU has evolved into a university that supports a student population of over 17,000 learners, including 1,500 international students, over 2,000 Aboriginal students, and employs over 2,300 faculty and staff. Located on British Columbia’s spectacular West Coast, VIU offers the opportunity to live and learn in one of the most beautiful university settings in Canada.
- Excellent facilities, quality programs at a reasonable cost.
- Small classes taught by experienced and highly-qualified instructors.
- Academic advising, personal counselling, and support services for international students.
- Social, recreational and sports activities; homestay, and on-campus student residences.
- Co-operative Education programs that allow for study and full-time work anywhere in Canada.
- Great location in a smaller city close to Vancouver and Victoria.
Nanaimo is a city of 85,000 residents, located on beautiful Vancouver Island — a tourist destination blessed with the natural beauty of mountains, forests and seashore, a mild climate, and many opportunities for year-round outdoor sports and recreation. Nanaimo is close to the major metropolitan areas of Vancouver and Victoria, so students attending VIU can have the best of all worlds:
- caring and comfortable community
- low cost of living
- spectacular natural environment
- unequalled recreational opportunities
- one of the mildest climates in all of Canada
- Association of Community Colleges of Canada (ACCC)
- Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC)
- British Columbia Centre for International Education (BCCIE)
- British Columbia Education Quality Assurance
- Canadian Bureau for International Education (CBIE)
- Canadian Education Centres Network (CECN)
- Imagine: Education in Canada
- Languages Canada