ERH works like a safety net. Vancouver Island University employees and students who have a carpool permit can receive a taxi ride home in the event of an emergency, up to a maximum distance of 35km from the Nanaimo campus. This gives employees and students the option to carpool or vanpool without the fear of being stranded in an emergency.
- Go to the Parking/Security office located in building 161 (9am - 3pm, Monday - Friday).
- Explain your reason for requesting an ERH.
- Ask for a copy of the ERH application form.
- You will be issued a voucher to give to the taxi driver.
- Call AC Taxi at 250-753-1231.
- Response time for a taxi may vary. Customers should confirm these details when they request the service.
- Complete the ERH application form and return it to the Parking / Security office the next business day.
Any employee or student, who has a valid carpool permit, is eligible for the ERH program.
ERH can be used up to a maximum of four times a year. Overuse/abuse of ERH may endanger this program, so questionable requests will be carefully reviewed by the Parking/Security office. Even if a ride has been issued for a particular reason, Vancouver Island University reserves the right to rule future request for the same reason inappropriate.
Appropriate request for ERH
- Get sick while at Vancouver Island University.
- A family member is sick or injured.
- A personal crisis occurs (e.g. death in the family, extensive property damage or loss due to natural disaster, theft, etc.)
Inappropriate requests for ERH
- Need to run personal errands.
- Need transportation from events that are planned in advance, such as but not limited to meetings, medical appointments.
- A school cancellation/closure occurs (in most cases).
- Class cancellations.
- Vehicle breaks down.
- Has to work overtime.
- Missed your carpool.
- Need to pick up your vehicle from the auto repair shop.
- In general, any situation for which there was prior knowledge.
Parking/Security office reserves the right to review a request to determine “emergency” status.
The ERH is a service provided by Vancouver Island University. Vancouver Island University will do its best to provide the ERH in accordance with the guidelines shown above. By requesting assistance from the ERH program, the participant in the program explicitly acknowledges that Vancouver Island University assumes no liability for the timelines of the Taxi Company or any accidents that may occur on the conveyance. An attempt at defrauding the service will be dealt with accordingly.
For more information or to fill out a carpool application form please contact the Parking/Security office located in Building 161. They can also be reached for information by calling 250-740-6512.
Carpooling and ERH are initiatives of Transportation And Safety Management Initiative (TASMI).