Trades & Applied Technology Programs
VIUs trades programs prepare students for entry-level and apprenticeship positions in a variety of skilled occupations. The Faculty of Trades & Applied Technology is committed to providing practical education and training to meet students future career and educational goals, while satisfying the employment needs of industry in the community. The programs are delivered in a workplace environment by highly-skilled instructors/trades people, and graduates are very successful in securing employment.
- Grade 12 (or provincial equivalent), or Mature Student status.
- Minimum 17 years of age, unless stated otherwise.
- Resume and/or personal profile and/or references may be required.
- Interview may be required.
- Mathematics and/or reading and/or trades aptitude test may be required.
- Physically fit and able to adapt to working conditions.
- Good hand/eye coordination.
- Good health, free of vision, hearing or respiratory ailments.
- Valid drivers license will be required for vehicle and equipment operation.
Enrolment in most programs is limited. Students who meet or exceed the minimum admission requirements may not necessarily be admitted to a program.
Refer to specific Program Outlines for additional admission requirements.
* Applicants 19 years of age or older, or who will become 19 during their first two months in the program, may be admitted to VIU even if they have not completed secondary school graduation; however, most programs and courses have special prerequisites that must be completed before mature students can register for them. These prerequisite courses can be obtained through the Adult Basic Education program at VIU. Check with an Advisor to find out if prerequisites need to be completed.
For all apprenticeships, approximately 80% of the training is done on-the-job and 20% is in-school technical training delivered at an accredited training institution. To become certified, an apprentice must complete on-the-job experience, successfully pass all in-school technical training and pass the Provincial or Inter-Provincial Examination with a 70% or better.
Currently VIU offers apprenticeship training in:
- Professional Cook
- Heavy Duty Mechanic
- Inboard/Outboard Mechanic
For further apprenticeship details check the Apprenticeship home page.
Updated November 22, 2011