Sea Kayak Level 1 Guides Course & Certification
2013 (Monday - Friday)
This course is for people who want to pursue sea kayak guiding as a potential career, or for the recreational kayaker who would like to improve their understanding of sea kayaking. This is an intensive 5 day course designed to fulfill the Sea Kayak Guides Alliance of British Columbia (SKGABC) guides requirements on route to the Level I (Day Guides) certification. Over the four days, students participate in the Level I course, and are evaluated throughout the duration of the course. Upon completion, students who met or exceeded all learning objectives are deemed to have successfully passed a SKGABC Level I evaluation. Check out the SKGABC website (www.skgabc.com) for further information on the Level I Certification. Please contact Matt Kellow at number below, or email Matt.Kellow@viu.ca for further details about the Level I course.
This course starts every morning at 8:30 am and will finish around 5:30 pm each evening. The majority of the course will be conducted outdoors, and students should be prepared for variable weather conditions. Over the course of five days students will be exposed to the following topics.
• All sea kayaking equipment will be reviewed, and discussed
• Transportation of sea kayaks with use of a trailer
• Basic, intermediate and some advanced strokes will be covered
• Execution and practice of sea kayak rescue techniques, including self rescue and assisted rescues
• Day paddling preparation, and leading a day trip on the water
• The use of log books, and how this relates to guiding
• How to navigate a kayak using a chart, compass, and GPS
• Group safety, and responsibilities as a Level I guide
• Leadership development with lots of practice leading
• Marine weather forecasts, VHF radio operation, and weather interpretation
• Environmental impact awareness
• Environmental interpretation as it relates to a Level I guide
The sea kayaking day guides Level I course is perfect for beginner sea kayakers. Vancouver Island University provides all the equipment, and no previous paddling experience is necessary. Although, previous paddling experience will be an asset to successful completion of Level I certification. What to bring ...
Cost: $300 + GST Current VIU students
$600 + GST Non-Students
Register at the VIU Gymnasium (Building 190). Deadline is one week prior to course start date.