Carpools are defined as--
" two or more people who would otherwise bring their individual vehicles to campus and are all traveling to campus in one vehicle in lieu of their individual vehicles."
The menu on the left has links where you can--
* Search for commuters (you can search by several different parameters)
Here are a few tips to help you enjoy a smooth commute.
- Decide who will drive and when. Give everyone a list with each
poolers phone number.
- Choose a convenient meeting place. Either pick up each pooler
at home, or meet in a central location like a Park and Ride lot.
- Set up a scheduleand stick to it. Make sure everyone knows
the schedule and is notified of changes. Decide how long you will
wait for tardy riders.
- Establish a fare. If you share the driving equally, you don't
need to exchange money. If one person drives, you can simply agree
on a mutually acceptable fare, or you can calculate what to charge
riders by dividing the round trip mileage times cost per mile
by the number of riders.
- Establish guidelines on smoking, eating, drinking, listening to music, and seating arrangements.
- Make sure your vehicle is in good repair and has enough gas.
- Check your insurance coverage. Some policies offer rate reductions for ridesharing.
- Exchange home, work, and cell phone numbers and emergency contact information with your carpool partners.
- Be considerate of perfume/product sensitivities
- Drive safely and obey the rules of the road.
- Be willing to compromise and communicate.
- Agree on a back-up plan in the case of illness, mechanical problems or an emergency situation.
- Carpooling is a cooperative effort - common sense, dependability, courtesy, planning, flexibility and accommodation are essential.
- Have fun! Save money!