Dr. Bill Pennell
|Office||Building 373, Office 208|
Centre for Shellfish Research
Vancouver Island University
900 Fifth Street
Nanaimo, BC V9R 5S5 Canada
Bill Pennell was one of the Fisheries and Aquaculture Program's founders (with David Lane and Eunice Lam and has been with Vancouver Island University (VIU) since 1979). He has a BA from Bowdoin College and a PHD from McGill University . Initial specialization was zooplankton and biological oceanography (copepods). Later he developed courses and research in salmonid culture, and concentrated on marine ecology, invertebrate zoology and invertebrate aquaculture.
Most recent activities include starting and developing the CSR, work on a review of copepod biology (on-going) and participation in various provincial aquaculture committees (BCARDC, ACRDP, FNSAT, CSR- LINKS). He has also been active in overseas work in several countries including Thailand and Brazil . His next planned activities include writing a textbook for invertebrate aquaculture and further international work in Brazil and Africa.
He has recently retired from teaching and is a Research Associate in the Centre for Shellfish Research, the former Director for the Institute for Coastal Research at Vancouver Island University, and Faculty of Science and Technology Coordinator for the Integrated Sciences Centre.
Organizations and Affiliations
Aquaculture Association of Canada (AAC)
World Aquaculture Association (WAS)
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
Science Council of British Columbia
ACRDP Review Committee
- Pennell, W . 1966. Report on a study of neuston in the Gulf of St. Lawrence . Rapp. Ann. 1966, Station de Biologie MarineGrande Riviere (L967), 6 p.
- Pennell, W . 1975. Description of a new species of pontellid copepod, Anomalocera opalus, from the Gulf of St. Lawrence and shelf waters of the Northwest Atlantic Ocean . Canadian Journal of Zoology, Vol. 54 (10) pp. 166~1668.
- Pennell, W . T. Septav, and S. Combs (1986). Microcomputers on the aquatic farm. Canadian Aquaculture, Vol. 2 (2).
- Pennell, W . 1987. Research Priorities of the British Columbia Salmon Farming Industry. B.C. Salmon Farmers' Association. 140 p.
- Pennell, W . 1987. The B.C. Mollusc Farming Industry. Bulletin of the Aquaculture Association of Canada (4) pp. 1 15.
- Pennell, W . 1988. The B.C. Salmon Farming Industry. Bulletin of the Aquaculture Association of Canada . 1988 (1} pp. 5 20.
- Pennell, W . 1988. Research Needs on Harmful Phytoplankton. Canadian Aquaculture. Vol. 4 (5) pp. 6~70.
- Hicks, B.D. and W. Pennell . 1988. Bacterial Kidney Disease; Proceedings of a Research Planning Meeting. B.C. Salmon Farmers' Association, 84p.
- Pennell, W . 1989. Notes on Fertilization and Incubation. Malaspina College . 7 p.
- Pennell, W . 1989. Carrying Capacity. Trout Farming Workshop Proceedings. Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, British Columbia . p. 2 10.
- Pennell, W . 1991. Fish Transportation Handbook. Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, British Columbia . 20 p.
- Pennell, W . 1992. Site Selection Handbook. Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, British Columbia . 15 p.
- Pennell, W . 1992. Smolt Quality Handbook. Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries. British Columbia . 20 p.
- Pennell, W . and B. Barton Editors 1996. Principles of Salmonid Culture. Elsevier. 1039 p.
- Cook, R H. and W. Pennell. 1990. Proceedings of the Special Session on Salmonid Aquaculture, World Aquaculture Society, February 16, 1989, Los Angeles , U.S.A.
- Pennell, W. and W.E. McLean. 1996. Early Rearing. Chapter 6 in Principles of Salmonid Culture. Elsevier Sci. Press. Editors W. Pennell and B. Barton. P.365-466.
- Novotny, A. J. and W. Pennell . 1996. Rearing Fish to Market Size in Marine Waters. (ibid) p.569-612.
- Pennell, W . Calanoid copepods of the Strait of Georgia . 2001. CD. Locally Initiated Curriculum, Ministry of Advanced Education.
- Pennell, W , E.D. Lane , and F. Dalziel, 2002. Open systems: The culture of Fish for Release into Natural Waters. Chapter 5 In Fish Hatchery Management, American Fisheries Society. Chapter.
- Pennell, W and P. Prouzet. Salmonids. Article for UNESCO Encyclopedia of Fisheries
Presentations | Conferences, Seminars and Lectures
- Pennell, W . 1984. Studies to improve oyster production and company profits at Esperanza Sea Farms Ltd., Tofino , British Columbia . 110 p. (For N.R.C.)
- Pennell, W . 1984. Use of new floatation methods for off bottom oyster culture, Nanoose Bay Oysters Ltd., British Columbia , May 1984. (N.R C. project completion report.) 15 p.
- Little, J.M., W. Pennell , and T.Y. Miyanaga. 1984. With Syndel International Ltd., report to C.I.D.A. on the planning of a cyprinid hatchery and training centre in Sri Lanka , 80 p.
- Pennell, W . 1985. Use of artificial P.V.C. oyster cultch on grow out racks on bottom culture lease, Kitt's Oysters, Ladysmith, Bntish Columbia. (For N.R.C.) 10 p.
- Pennell, W . 1985. Report to A C.C.C. on consultancy ~vith E.S.P.O.L. (Escuela Superior Pol~technica Del Litoral): Curriculum recommendations for four year aquaculture training program, research programs, and extension activities, 40 p.
- Pennell, W . 1986. Report to Prince of Songkla University: Development of curuculum for four year aquaculture program, 50 p.
- Pennell, W . 1987. Report to Phuket College : Development plan for aquaculture program, 60 p.
- Pennell, W . 1998. Convener, Shellfish Aquaculture Section, World Aquaculture Society meeting, Seattle. Paper given. No proceedings.
- Pennell, W 1999. Opportunities for shellfish culture in the Broughton Archipelago. Proceedings of Workshop in Alert Bay . Inner Coast Natural Resource Centre, and Continuing Studies Program, Simon Fraser University . August 1998. 20 p.
- Pennell, W and L. Townsend. 1999. Education in Aquaculture. Maricon Conference on Mussel Culture. Proceedings. Salt Spring Island . July 1999.