Educational Technologist & Instructor, Faculty of Education
Bldg. (#356): Room 248
Phone: 250-753-3245 (local: 2630)
- Certificate in School Management & Leadership, University of Victoria
- M.A. (Distributed Learning), Royal Roads University, Victoria, BC
- Post Degree Professional Program, University of Victoria
- B.A. (English), Amherst College, Massachusetts
- "Impact of Digital Footprint & Social Media Professional Development in SD 10 Arrow Lakes, BC". (2012). Research report.
- "Educating with Social Media: Policy & Practice in British Columbia." (2012). Research paper co-authored with Rachel Moll. Presented at American Educational Research Association 2012 Annual Meeting: Non Satis Scire: To Know Is Not Enough (Vancouver, BC). AERA 2012 Proceeding 529949.
- "Educating with Social Media: Policy & Practice in British Columbia." (2012). Presentation co-authored with Rachel Moll. Presented at American Educational Research Association 2012 Annual Meeting: Non Satis Scire: To Know Is Not Enough (Vancouver, BC). Division C- Learning and Instruction, Section 7: Technology Research Paper Session: Investigation of Wikis for Collaboration and Knowledge Building April 13, 2012
- "Managing digital footprints: Ostriches v. eagles".(2011). In S. Hirtz & K. Kelly (Eds.), Education for a digital world 2.0 (2nd ed.) (Vol. 1, Part One: Emerging technologies and practices). Open School/Crown Publications: Queen's Printer for British Columbia, Canada.
- "Chapter 8: Exploring Open Source for Educators: We're Not in Kansas Anymore--Entering OS" in Education for a Digital World (Commonwealth of Learning, 2008).
- "Building Relational Trust & Community" (December 2008.)Adminfo(21, 2)
- "Assessing Trust". (October 2007.) Adminfo (20,1).
- "Key Factors in Adolescent Distributed Learning." (Summer 2001.) Academic Exchange Quarterly (5,2).
- "Leave No Learner Behind: Incorporating Learning Styles inot a Differentiated OlineInstructional Approach to Benefit Learner Performance"--collaborative M.A. Thesis in my maiden name "Whaley" with Lisa O'Neill.
- Forsythe, M. (May 5, 2012). CBC1 (Vancouver). BC Alamanac.
- Langdon, M. (May 4, 2012).CFAX 1070 (Victoria).Interview: Social Media & Education.CFAX 1070 (Victoria). www.cfax1070.com/budftp/http://www.cfax1070.com/budftp/CFAX1070_FRIDAY_10_30.MP3
- Abshire, J. (May 3, 2012). Social media policy needed in BC schools: education prof
- Kuehn, L. (November/December 2010). Manage your digital footprint. TeacherMagazine 23(10) p. 16. (Online version)
- Tweeting as @jhengstler on Twitter
- Social bookmarking as jhengstler on Delicious
- Blogging as jhengstler on Wordpress
Julia is the Educational Technologist with the Faculty of Education at Vancouver Island University & an Instructor in Educational Technology. Julia has a broad instructional background teaching students from grade 6 to adult in both traditional and non-traditional contexts. Her subject area experience covers English, social studies, math, science, and Spanish courses up to the senior levels. Julia has always had a strong interest in how technology can improve both learning and teaching and developed the Distributed Learning Program at Gulf Islands Secondary. Currently, Julia supports both Education students and faculty in the use of educational technologies. She manages the department website, provides technology related workshops, & supports online course delivery through Moodle.
Julia completed her Certificate in School Management & Leadership at the University of Victoria (British Columbia, Canada). In addition, Julia holds a Master of Arts in Distributed Learning from Royal Roads University (Victoria, BC). Her current areas of interest are relational trust, the many ways learners vary, & how technology can optimize learning & teaching. See Julia's Resume.