It is hard to generalize about the costs of studying abroad. Costs will vary greatly by country and by the type of overseas program you plan to attend. Some programs are "all-inclusive", others not.
Find out what is covered in the cost of your overseas program then use this list to determine what other expenses you will have for your program. Costs that may, or may not, be included in your overseas program:
- travel from your home to Vancouver (or other) International Airport (parking, bus, ferry, plane, taxis)
- overnight hotel if required on the way over or back
- travel from Vancouver International Airport to the overseas country
- airport taxes
- in-country travel related to the program (program-related, free time)
- overseas accommodation - student residence? homestay? will you have to provide a tent? sleeping bag? mosquito net?
- are meals included in your program or accommodation fee or will you have to pay for meals separately?
- emergency medical (required) and trip cancellation insurance
- immunizations, medications
- insurance for your personal belongings
- instructional costs (salary, travel, honoraria, phone, photocopy, supplies, facility rental, admissions)
- tuition fees
- other course supplies
- first aid kit
- special clothing
- free time activities
- mail, phone cards, internet charges