Some programs have funding attached to them - program funding information
International Education Stipend
- The International Education Department at VIU encourages education abroad by providing eligible students with an International Education Stipend of $350, $750 or $1000.
One World Scholarships
- The overall purpose of the One World suite of scholarships is to increase the participation by undergraduate students from public post-secondary institutions in B.C. in academic and work-related study abroad programs outside Canada to develop a more globally literate citizenry and workforce in the province. Scholarships will range from $1000 to $3000. Read the eligibility criteria carefully before applying. Application deadline: Nov 23, 2012 and Feb 28, 2013.
- The Premier's One World Scholarship is a prestigious, high-value award, available on a competitive basis to eligible British Columbia students from across the province whose study abroad program is one semester or two consecutive academic semesters of full time study at one institution. In the case of work abroad activities, including applied experiential learning such as cooperative education placements, internships and field work, they may be included if they are an integral part of a student’s study abroad program, but they must be combined with at least one semester of academic work. Use the same application from as above. Application deadline: Feb 28, 2013
Study Abroad Scholarships
- Study Abroad scholarships have been created for students accepted into a VIU education abroad program (an exchange, field school, internship or practicum overseas). Application deadline is FEB 28, 2013. Click here for the application: http://www.viu.ca/financialaid/applications.asp
Note the 2 new scholarships offered through International Education:
- "International Education Exchange Award -$3000"-This award is designed to encourage and support students attending VIU exchange program. The country of focus will change every year or two. For 2013, the designated countries are FINLAND and CHINA. One award is available and can be used for either the Fall 2013 or Spring 2014 semester.
- "International Internship Award - $3000" - Available to students participating in an internship of at least 3 months in a developing country in the global south. Preference will be given to students whose internships are aligned with CIDA priorities and themes. Applicants must demonstrate, by means of a personal written statement, strong links between their proposed internship abroad and their academic program, volunteer activities and career goals. The recipient would be expected to follow up with a VIU or community presentation of their experience.
Students for Development Program
- The Students for Development program allows senior-level university students to to better understand governance issues by participating in credited 3-month internships in developing countries. The application deadline for this $6,500 award is normally in January each year. THIS PROGRAM IS NOT AVAILABLE IN 2013.
Student Research Scholarships & Awards
- Canadian Institutes for Health Research (CIHR)
- The BC Student-Led Research Program
- The VIU Student Travel and Conference (STAC) Fund
- NSERC (Natural Sciences & Engineering Research Council)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) SSHRC-related fields
- Jessica Wilde Fund for Conference Participation
- Warsh Law Corp Undergraduate Research Award
- Other Information about Financial Aid & Awards
Awards, Grants, Scholarships
- Various government agencies offer grants and awards, usually in a provincial or national competition.
- Foreign Government Awards - Korea The Government of Korea through the National Institute for International Education Development offers scholarships to Canadians for study/research at the graduate level. These scholarships are based on reciprocal agreements between the governments of Korea and Canada. ApplicationDeadline: March 7, 2012. For more information, visit: http://www.scholarships-bourses.gc.ca/scholarships-bourses/can/fga_korea-bge_coree.aspx?lang=eng&view=d
- If you are currently on StudentAid BC funding, you may be able to continue your funding to include study overseas. If you are not currently receiving StudentAid BC funding, you may be able to apply.
- Unless your program is all-inclusive, it may be difficult to calculate the amount of money you'll need to budget and take with you. This checklist will help you with your financial planning.