Terms of Reference
The committee will be guided by the following principles and values when intentionally fulfilling its mission and goals:
- Respectful, honest, and caring values will form the foundation for all working relationships;
- A spirit of collaboration, shared leadership, and innovation will provide direction and support to health and wellness centre developments and initiatives;
- A student centered, interprofessional practice model will be promoted;
- A holistic and culturally inclusive approach will be used to realize our vision and attain goals;
- Priorities for planning and new program development will be evidence-based and action-oriented.
Responsibilities and Actions
- Meet regularly, maintaining a record of decisions and actions;
- Consult and collaborate with various stakeholders (including other campuses and regional sites) at all stages of program planning, development, implementation, and evaluation;
- Develop institutional coordination and communication mechanisms to inform and involve students, faculty, and staff;
- Coordinate the development of capital and operating plans to support phased-in activity;
- Make recommendations to senior administrators on the planning and development of the health and wellness centre and associated activities;
- Provide advice and direction to sustain the health and wellness centre and initiatives.
- Review terms of reference annually.
Decisions will be reached by an agreed upon consensus as per Committee membership. Email can be used to share information and make decisions outside of regular meeting times as necessary, at the discretion of the Chair.
A Committee Chair will be chosen at the beginning of each academic year to fulfill the following functions: schedule regular and special-purpose meetings; develop and circulate agenda package; facilitate meetings and follow up business items; and communicate recommendations and planning activities to relevant parties.
A recorder will be provided by the Faculty of Student Services to record and produce minutes, which will be submitted to the Chair at least one week prior to scheduled meetings.
Membership will include: students, faculty, staff, and senior administration. The Committee will be comprised of 10-12 members, with the ability to accommodate working groups, as necessary. Committee members will act in the overall interests of Vancouver Island University, representing the students and employees it serves, its four campuses and regional sites, and a broad range of cultural and disciplinary perspectives. Committee members will be expected to notify the Chair when they are unable to attend meetings.
- Guiding documents will include, but will not be limited to:
- Health and Wellness Planning Framework
- Committee Terms of Reference
- Committee minutes
- Relevant survey and focus group results
- Research-based information
- Committee-endorsed business and facility plans
- Institutional Service Plan
- Other (as decided by Committee)