Living in Canada
All students at Malaspina High School live with English-speaking Canadian host families who provide a caring, pleasant and relaxed home environment. Students have a quiet room and three meals a day, including a bag lunch. Homestay allows students to practice and enhance their English language skills, to experience daily living in Canada, and to build relationships and memories that will last a lifetime.
- A Placement Fee of $200 CAD (effective April 1, 2011).
- A refundable Deposit of $700 CAD.
- A monthly payment of $700 CAD, payable on the first day of each month.
VIU has a Homestay Department that assists students with the adjustment of living and studying in Canada. The Homestay Manager will arrange for changes in homestay if a student experiences serious problems.
Students should plan to arrive at the Nanaimo Airport where a representative from Malaspina High School, and/or host family, will meet them and take them to their place of accommodation.
Teachers and staff of Malaspina High School provide students with support in:
- planning an academic program of studies to ensure graduation and post-secondary admission requirements are being met;
- applying for scholarships for post-secondary institutions;
- providing advice and assistance on a number of topics.
Field trips and community contact are integral to all programs of study. After school and on weekends, students can participate in sports, clubs, class parties and excursions. In the Nanaimo area, recreation and cultural activities are easily accessible. Because of the proximity of the ocean and the mountains, recreational activities like sailing, swimming, fishing, cycling, horseback riding, golfing, skiing, and skating are popular.
A high standard of personal and social behaviour is expected of students at all times. Students must:
- obey the rules and regulations of Malaspina High School, as well as Vancouver Island University;
- attend classes on a regular basis and make determined efforts in their school work;
- be respectful of self, others and property.
- be responsible
- accept challenges
Nanaimo is located on beautiful Vancouver Island which offers a friendly and supportive community that is within easy reach of major metropolitan areas like Vancouver and Victoria. The campus is set in park-like surroundings on a hillside overlooking the City of Nanaimo and the Strait of Georgia.