NOTICE TO STUDENTS RE: BARGAINING BETWEEN VANCOUVER ISLAND UNIVERSITY AND THE CANADIAN UNION OF PUBLIC EMPLOYEES (CUPE) LOCAL 1858
Update #1 – Friday, October 26, 2012
Vancouver Island University (VIU) and its support workers union, the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) Local 1858, are currently in the process of negotiating a new collective agreement.
On Wednesday, October 24, 2012, CUPE informed the University that it would be taking a strike vote with its members early next week. It is important to know that while the University takes the vote very seriously, this is one step in a process and does not necessarily mean there will be a strike. Negotiations can continue even though a strike vote has been held.
In addition before strike action can commence, the union must first serve notice. Seventy-two hours must elapse between the serving of a strike notice and the time when strike action can take place. Furthermore, if a mediator is appointed by the Labour Relations Board, the mediation process must be exhausted before a strike can commence.
Job action by a union can take many forms, with varying impacts on our students and operations. For example, a union could work-to-rule, engage in an overtime ban, or organize selective or limited picketing. Accordingly, it is important to remember that the union can take job action in number of ways short of a full strike.
The bargaining teams for both VIU and CUPE have worked very hard so far and have resolved many issues. A key outstanding issue is the question of compensation. The University’s fiscal mandate is established by government through the Post Secondary Employers' Association (PSEA). VIU has worked, and continues to work, very diligently with government through the PSEA, to finalize a mandate that can lead to the parties successfully concluding a collective agreement.
We are committed to working together to reach a fair negotiated settlement with our employees. Our priority remains delivering a high-quality education and services to our students, while also ensuring a positive work environment for our staff and faculty.
We will continue to work diligently to avoid any interruption in service to students and keep you informed as events unfold.
- Update #16 – Friday, December 7, 2012
- Update #15 - Monday, December 3, 2012
- Update #14 - Friday, November 30, 2012
- Update #13 - Tuesday, November 27, 2012
- Update #12 - Monday, November 26, 2012
- Update #11 - Friday, November 23, 2012
- Update #10 - Wednesday, November 21, 2012
- Update #9 - Tuesday, November 20, 2012
- Update #8 - Tuesday, November 20, 2012
- Update #7 - Monday, November 19, 2012
- Update #6 - Monday, November 19, 2012
- Update #5 - Friday, November 16, 2012
- Update #4 - Tuesday, November 13, 2012
- Update #3 - Tuesday, November 6, 2012
- Update #2 - Friday, November 2, 2012
- Update #1 – Friday, October 26, 2012