About the Council
The membership and terms of reference for the President's Council are as follows:
Members and Associates
Position Name President and Vice-Chancellor Ralph Nilson Provost and Vice-President Academic David Witty Vice-President, Administration and Finance Pat Eagar University Secretary/Senior Policy Advisor Diny van Beers Associate Vice-President, Academic Planning and Aboriginal Initiatives Steve Lane Executive Director, Human Resources Janine Reed Executive Director, Infrastructure and Ancillary Services Ric Kelm Executive Director, Student Services Patrick Donahoe Executive Director, University Relations Dan Hurley Director, IT & Chief Technology Officer Calvin Wilson Dean, Faculty of Arts and Humanities Ross MacKay Dean, Faculty of Education Harry Janzen Dean, Faculty of Health and Human Services Carol Stuart Dean, Faculty of International Education Graham Pike Dean, Faculty of Management Dave Twynam Dean, Faculty of Science and Technology Greg Crawford Dean, Faculty of Social Sciences John Black Dean, Faculty of Trades and Applied Technology Fred MacDonald Dean, Faculty of Academic & Career Preparation Jean Maltesen Campus Academic Administrator, Cowichan Warren Weir Campus Principal, Powell River Arlette Raaen Director, Aboriginal Education Sharon Hobenshield Director, Advancement & Alumni Relations Julie Keenan Interim Director, Enrolment Management Tina McComb Director, University Planning and Analysis David Rees Registrar Fred Jacklin Director, Financial Services Wendy Young Director, Library Services Bob Foley Director, Research Services Liz Hammond-Kaarremaa Director, Centre for Innovation and Excellence in Learning Liesel Knaack Director, Human Rights and Respectful Workplace Katrin Roth Von Szepesbela
Terms of Reference
The President’s Council serves several purposes as follows:
- provide cohesive and highly engaged leadership to the university, and provide counsel to the President, other members of the Senior Management Group and the Council-at-large.
- discuss/debate university directions, strategic decisions, policies and macro-level procedures and operations.
- provide a forum for members to bring forward for discussion opportunities and issues of relevance to the broader community.
- provide support and oversight for:
- completion and implementation of the Integrated Planning Process (and resulting Plans), and
- development and implementation of multi-year financial and human resource plans.
- provide a forum for university wide two-way communications and engagement:
- to ensure communications and information is more widely shared and disseminated from leadership to and throughout the university, and
- to provide a mechanism by which faculty, employees, students and various faculty councils can provide information and feedback directly to President's Council members, and through them, the the entire President's Council.
- actively build understanding of the opportunities and challenges; sharing advice and feedback.
- actively engage the University community in the pursuit of the VIU Mandate, Vision and Purpose.
The Council normally meets twice per term. Agenda submisssions/inquiries should be forwarded to the Executive Assistant to the President.