VIU Research Ethics Board (REB)
Welcome to the Vancouver Island University (VIU) Research Ethics Board (VIU REB) Web site.
This website is designed to assist researchers and others in learning about ethics in research, in order to maintain VIU's commitment to the highest ethical standards in research involving human participants and to seeing that the safety, health, welfare, and rights of participants are adequately protected.
The mandate of the VIU REB is to:
- educate the VIU community about ethical issues surrounding research with human beings, and to
- implement the institutional policy and procedures concerning research with human participants.
Specifically, the board ensures that all research projects involving human beings follow standard ethical guidelines and are subject to ethical review, whether they be student projects or faculty projects.
Please note: Researchers from institutions and agencies external to Vancouver Island University, who plan to use members of the VIU community (faculty, staff, or students) as participants in their research, are required to first obtain approval for such research from the VIU Research Ethics Board.
- History of VIU REB
- Members & Meeting Dates
- Information for Applicants (including application process)
- Tri-Council Policy Statement (TCPS) / TCPS Tutorial
- Forms & Checklists
- Departmental Reviews
- Reports & Other Publications
- Contacts Us