Policies and Guidelines Governing Research
The following lists the key policies and procedures along with some key governing documents and web pages that researchers at VIU need to know about and follow.
|Governing Documents and
Policies & Procedures
Policies Related to Employment of Research Personnel
- VIU's Academic Plan 'Framing our Future' will be setting the foundation for the next VIU Strategic Research Plan.
- Vancouver Island University's Institutional Strategic Research Plan (Fall 2008)
- VIU Guidelines for Canada Foundation and Innovation (CFI) Applications and Awards
- Institutional Allocation Plan for Canada Foundation and Innovation (CFI) Infrastructure Operating Fund
- Institutional Signature Sheet for Research Funding - This form must accompany each and every research grant application. Grant Applicants are responsible for obtaining all the signatures on this form before submission to the Research & Scholarly Activity Office. A copy of the grant application must be attached to this signed form when submitted.
- Eligibility to hold a research grant. Non-employees such as an adjunct or emeritus faculty, Postdoctoral Fellow, Honorary Research Associate or, a non-faculty but a VIU staff member who wish to apply for and be the primary investigator on a research grant need to apply for eligibility to hold a research grant at VIU. To apply, read the Guidelines and complete the Application Form to be Eligible to Hold a Research Grant at VIU.
- Banked Research Cost Centre Accounts. Here are guidelines on how these accounts can be used: Banked Research Accounts
- Federal Indirect Costs Program
- Indirect Costs Recovery and Distribution Guidelines for Research Contracts and Grants - VIU has an indirect cost guideline of 25% of cash contributions (i.e. over and above the full expenses of the grant). Indirect Costs Waiver Form - Use this form if you are requesting a reduction in the amount we charge outside organizations (other than NSERC, SSHRC and CIHR) for indirect costs on research grants and contracts.
- Research Chairs – Institutional Oversight and Workload Scheduling
Policies and procedures of special relevance to research:
- VIU Research Ethics Board Policy (31.03) & Procedures
- Animal Care Policy (31.07) & Procedure
- Honorary Research Associates Policy (31.08) & Procedures
- Postdoctoral Fellowship Policy (31.16) (note revised version which is anticipated being approved in 2012/13) & Procedure (draft for approval 2012/13)
- Adjunct Faculty Policy (31.14)
- Integrity and Conduct in Scholarly Activity Policy (31.10 under revision and subject to approval 2012/13) & Procedure (under revision and subject to approval 2012/13)
- Research Centres and Institutes Policy (31.11 under revision and subject to approval 2012/13) & Procedure (under revision and subject to approval 2012/13)
- Intellectual Property (31.13) Policy & Procedure
- Data sharing, archiving, protection and release. While VIU does not have a specific policy governing this, researchers should be aware of external granting agencies policies on this topic. For example, SSHRC is committed to the principle that the various forms of research data collected with public funds belong in the public domain. Please check the Tri-Agency Financial Administration Guide or the individual funding agency policies.
- VIU's policy page Check the 3100 series
- VIU's Research Personnel - Employment and Awards
- The Tri-Agency Memorandum of Understanding Schedule 7C: Statement of Principles for Postdoctoral Fellows
- VIU Collective Agreements
- Employment Standards Act of B.C.
- Canada Immigration Center – Hiring Foreign Academics in Canada Handbook
- Human Rights Code of BC