Where To Find Us
|On Campus Directions
Nanaimo Travel Information
Background Information for Visitors and Guests
There are two ways to access the Research & Scholarly Activity Office and Institute for Coastal Research meeting rooms and lounge:
From South of Nanaimo take the island highway North, and ensure you follow the by-pass route marked “Hwy. 19 to Parksville” that begins just south of the city ("Nanaimo Parkway" on the map). Stay on the Parkway until you see the sign for Vancouver Island University/5th Street (first traffic light after connecting to the Parkway). Turn right and proceed downhill. Our campus is on the left.
From North of Nanaimo take the Nanaimo Parkway bypass follow the parkway until it climbs up the side of Mt. Benson as it begins to level out, you'll come to the exit for Vancouver Island University via 5th Street. Turn left and proceed down the hill. Our campus is on the left.
Note: Floatplanes fly to Nanaimo from both downtown Vancouver and the river
next to Vancouver International Airport. (Cheaper & faster than airport
to airport and only a 7-minute drive by taxi to our Campus.)
- On-campus Residence: 'Whistler' residences; within 4 minute walk of campus centre; rooms available for $35 per night
- Dorchester Hotel: Classic waterfront hotel, downtown Nanaimo, 5 minute taxi ride to VIU
- The Coast Bastion Inn: Over looks Georgia straight, downtown Nanaimo, 5 minute taxi ride to VIU
- Painted Turtle Guesthouse: Fun, funky& affordable,downtown Nanaimo, 5 minute taxi ride to VIU
- The Research and Scholarly Activity Annual Reports at Vancouver Island University is available online, and it highlights a variety of activities undertaken by individual researchers and research centres or institutes as well as a listings of external grants received.
- Vancouver Island map showing the locations of the four campuses of Vancouver Island University.