SEVERE WEATHER PROCEDURES
The season of ice and snow is once again upon us, so all students, faculty and staff are reminded to familiarize themselves with Vancouver Island University’s Snow Closure Procedures. Here is a brief overview:
If the VIU’s Nanaimo campus is closed due to extreme weather conditions, the closure will be communicated to all students and employees in the following ways:
- An e-mail message will be sent from University Relations
- A message will be posted on the emergency banner at the top of VIU's website www.viu.ca
- A message will be posted to Twitter at @VIUNews
- A message will be recorded on VIU's Nanaimo switchboard at 250-753-3245 or 1-888-920-2221
- A media advisory will be sent to all local and regional media, followed by direct calls to both radio and television stations
- Signs will be posted on the entrances of the Library, Bookstore, Theatre and Welcome Centre advising that classes are cancelled, and services are closed
For VIU’s regional campuses and centres, a similar process will be used at the discretion of the Regional Campus Principal or designate. All student residences will remain open.
Every effort will be made to communicate these messages by 6:00 am on the day of the closure. However, there may be times when weather conditions change quickly and a decision to close the campus will need to be made after 6:00 am.
Effective this year, closures due to severe weather would be in effect for the entire day resulting in the cancellation of both daytime and evening classes and activities.
There will also be unforeseen circumstances when individual students or employees may not be able to commute to the campus due to weather conditions in the area in which they reside. In these circumstances, students should notify their instructors, and employees must work through their Dean or Director, to make alternative arrangements if required.