SEVERE WEATHER PROCEDURES
The season of ice and snow is once again upon us, so all students, faculty and staff are reminded to familiarize themselves with Vancouver Island University’s Snow Closure Procedures. Please read the following carefully as some of the information has changed.
Here is a brief overview:
If any of VIU’s campuses or regional facilities need to be closed due to extreme weather conditions, the closure will be communicated to all students and employees in the following ways:
- A message will be posted on the emergency banner at the top of VIU's website www.viu.ca
- A message will be posted to Twitter @viunews
- A message will be posted to VIU’s Facebook page
- A media advisory will be sent to all local and regional media, followed by direct calls to both radio and television stations
- An email message will be sent from University Relations to employees and students
- Signs will be posted on the entrances of the Library, Bookstore, Theatre and Welcome Centre advising that classes are cancelled, and services are closed
- Information will be updated as appropriate throughout the day
Every effort will be made to communicate these messages by 6:00 am on the day of the closure.
Please check your junk email folders to ensure that email messages have not been filed there.
There may be times when weather conditions change quickly and a decision to close the campus will need to be made after 6:00 am.
The most up-to-date information will be found on VIU’s main website: www.viu.ca
Closures due to severe weather will be in effect for the entire day resulting in the cancellation of both daytime and evening classes and activities.
There may also be unforeseen circumstances when individual students or employees can not commute to the campus due to weather conditions in the area in which they reside. In these circumstances, students should notify their instructors, and employees must work through their Dean or Director, to make alternative arrangements if required.
For further information, please e-mail University.Relations@viu.ca