Audio Editing Suite
The Library Commons has one audio editing suite that can be used to import analog or digital audio files, record voice-overs, edit audio, and export to cassette tape, audio CD (using iTunes software), data CD or data DVD. This Macintosh station with Audacity audio editing software is located on the third floor of the Library in the Library Commons. It is to be used by VIU Students and employees only, and exclusively for educational purposes.
Audio recording equipment is available for loan to VIU Students and employees through the VIU Library's Equipment Loans department.
Booking the Audio Editing Suite
- The audio editing suite may be booked for up to 3 hours per day by VIU Students and employees.
- Request a suite booking online using our suite booking website.
- Pick up the keys to your booked suite at the Library Service Desk just prior to your booking time. Remember to bring your Student or Employee ID card!
- The suite is available during Library hours, ending one half-hour before Library closing time: Mon.-Thurs. 8am-9:30pm; Fri. 8am-4:30pm; Sat.-Sun. 12-4:30pm.
- You may not book the suite for any other purpose than audio recording and editing.
- Book well in advance to ensure access to the suite.
Important information about using the Audio Editing Suite
- To use the Audio Editing workstation, you will need to log in using your existing VIU Discovery account.
- When you are finished using the suite, log out of your account, lock the suite door and return the key to the Library Service Desk. If you are the last one using the suite at the end of the day, click on the “Sleep” icon on the computer screen when you log out.
- Media project files are not backed up by Vancouver Island University. You are responsible for making backup copies of your own project files. See the guide to "Exporting Audio" for instructions on backing up your files to DVD.
- Project files will be deleted 30 days after the last time they were worked on.
- Assistance: The Audio Editing Suite is a self-service facility, meaning that users must be prepared to complete the majority of their projects independently. If you have problems using the equipment or software, consult the print instructions available in the suite. If you need help, ask at the Library Service Desk or Reference Desk – library staff will contact a media technician for you. Media technicians are available Monday-Friday, 9am - 4:30pm.
- If you plan to distribute your audio project, you will need permission from the subjects featured in it, e.g. by having the subjects sign a waiver.
The audio editing suite computer runs the Macintosh OS X operating system and does not have Microsoft Office software installed. This station is to be used only for audio editing and recording.
The station has the following specialized technology available:
- Audacity (for editing and recording audio)
- Quicktime Pro (for converting audio from one format to another)
- iTunes (for recording audio CDs -- i.e. CDs that you can play in a CD player)
- 1 audio cassette tape recorder
- 1 audio cassette tape player
- 2 studio-quality microphones
- 2 sets of headphones
- mixing board
- CD/DVD burner