About Vancouver Island University
Known as a centre of excellence for teaching, applied research and learning, Vancouver Island University (VIU) is producing quality graduates that are in demand by employers across the country and around the world.
With roots that date back to 1936 when Nanaimo’s first vocational training school opened its doors, VIU shares a rich history and connectedness with its communities. It is this history and commitment to people that has provided VIU with a solid foundation on which we continue to grow.
VIU has evolved into a dynamic, internationally known university supporting a student population in excess of 18,000 full-and part-time learners, including 1100 international students, over 1000 aboriginal students, and employing over 2,000 faculty and staff.
Through our ongoing evolution and growth, VIU is proud to have contributed to the development of the Vancouver Island culture, social, economic and knowledge base.
VIU operates four campuses including a main campus in Nanaimo and regional campuses in Duncan, Powell River and Parksville•Qualicum. VIU is also the proud owner of Milner Gardens and Woodlands in Qualicum Beach, recently named one of the top 10 public gardens in Canada.
VIU is an organization that values a diverse range of training and education. The university provides an enriched and intellectually stimulating environment for students and employees. Offering programs from basic literacy to vocational programs, trades, undergraduate and graduate degrees, VIU encourages all students to explore their potential, discover more about their world and excel in both life and learning.
- Excellent facilities, quality programs at a reasonable cost.
- Small classes taught by experienced and highly-qualified instructors.
- Academic advising, personal counselling, and support services for international students.
- Social, recreational and sports activities; homestay, and on-campus student residences.
- Co-operative Education programs that allow for study and full-time work anywhere in Canada.
- Great location in a smaller city close to Vancouver and Victoria.
Nanaimo is a city of 85,000 residents, located on beautiful Vancouver Island — a tourist destination blessed with the natural beauty of mountains, forests and seashore, a mild climate, and many opportunities for year-round outdoor sports and recreation. Nanaimo is close to the major metropolitan areas of Vancouver and Victoria, so students attending VIU can have the best of all worlds:
- caring and comfortable community
- low cost of living
- spectacular natural environment
- unequalled recreational opportunities
- one of the mildest climates in all of Canada
- Association of Community Colleges of Canada (ACCC)
- Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC)
- British Columbia Centre for International Education (BCCIE)
- British Columbia Education Quality Assurance
- Canadian Bureau for International Education (CBIE)
- Canadian Education Centres Network (CECN)
- Imagine: Education in Canada
- Languages Canada