High School Counsellors

What School Counsellors and other key school staff need to know?

Students in high school who meet admission requirements can take VIU courses for dual credit.

Credits towards both high school diploma and university are available for both academic and trades programs.

There are three options for academic courses:

  1. Enrichment– this opportunity is targeted for students entering Grade 12. It is marketed to schools and the community in early February. Students review a number of pre-selected courses that are approved by Faculties and consult with high school contacts to ensure feasibility. These courses have a limited number of reserved seats and are made available to students to apply late April early May. See Admission Requirements for details. Maximum of two courses per semester or four courses in a year. Accepted students will be notified early May. Public school systems are funding these courses for students. Application fee, books, supplies and Student Union, Student Services and Activity fees are paid for by the student.
  2. Late Admission – Students at any time of the year can apply to take a course as long as they meet course prerequisites. Students follow the same process to apply through their School districts as they would any other time of year. Contact the School District Career Coordinator for more information specific to your district regarding the possibility of late admission.
  3. Special Admission- Students at any time of the year can apply to take a course as long as they meet course prerequisites. NOTE: Under Special Admission, any courses students enroll in are paid for by the student.

There are other certificate related and trades Dual Credit courses too:

Are your students interested in a certificate that leads to a career?

Certificate programs are offered too! See the following link: Course Offerings 

Are your students interested in Trades and Applied Technology? 

Students can begin post-secondary (university/college) trades and technical programs during their Grade 11 and 12 high school years. See the following link: Dual Credit in Trades and Applied Technology

Frequently Asked Questions

See: full list of FAQs

Q:  When can I learn more about this program?

A:   Attend an information session in early February of your Grade 11 year. Talk to your Counsellor/Career Coordinator. Email your questions to dualcredit@viu.ca to learn how to plan ahead.

Q: What is the maximum number of courses I can take?

A: You can take a maximum of 2 courses per semester for a total of 4 courses in one year.

Q:  Does completing this course count as credit toward a program or degree I might enroll in later?

A: Absolutely. All courses will be listed on your transcript and will count for full credit towards any future program to which it can be applied. If you want to see how a course will transfer to a specific University you can consult the BC Transfer Guide.

If you plan to attend a school out of province or country you will need to check with the specific institution.

Q: Can I get high school credit for completing a course at Vancouver Island University?

A: Your course is a dual credit course and will be reflected on your high school transcript as both a post-secondary institute (PSI) course and a Grade 12 elective.

Q: Some VIU courses require that I have certain Grade 12 courses done before I apply. How do I do this?

A: You need to plan your courses with your School Counsellor so that you complete any required courses the prior to the start of the dual credit course ie Complete your required course(s) in the second semester of your grade 11 year or in the first semester of your grade 12 year.

Q: What are some examples of courses students can take?

A:  Art, Design and Performing Arts, Carpentry, Culinary Arts, English, Education Assistant and Community Worker, Early Childhood Education, Health Care Assistant, Information Technology and System, Tourism, Recreation and Hospitality, Psychology, History, Marketing, Electrician, Social Work, Anthropology, Media Studies, Philosophy, Biology, Chemistry, Math, Music, etc. See the following link: Course Offerings

Q: What times are these courses offered?

A: Courses are offered at all times of the day from 8:30am to 9:00pm. A number of different times are available to give options for students.

Q: How can I take a University level English course?

A: We recommend that you take English 12 in Grade 11. You could also be completing your English 12 in first semester of grade 12 and take first year university English in spring semester at VIU. There would be less than one month overlap.

Q:  What do I have to pay?

A:  The School District pays your tuition if you apply within its set time frame. You are responsible for the cost of books, application fee, any necessary lab fees and Student Union, Student Activity, and Student Services fees. If you are accepted through Special Admission, you are responsible for the cost of tuition as well as the others fees identified above.

How can A Counsellor help? What do you need to know?

  • Start identifying students who would benefit from this opportunity as early as grade 10.
  • Contact the Dual Credit Coordinator at the Nanaimo campus (dualcredit@viu.ca) with your questions. 
  • Encourage strong students to take English 12 in second semester Grade 11 to leave more options open for courses in their Grade 12 timetable.
  • Refer students to Dual Credit to see posted Information Session dates and other important notices.
  • Work directly with a student to ensure the courses they want will work with their high school timetable.

For more Information

Email: dualcredit@viu.ca

CLOSE X Dual Credit