- 1 Year
- Graduate Diploma
Do you want to lead your students to greater success with innovative approaches to teaching and learning?
Broaden your perspectives on learning through VIU’s Teacher Leadership Graduate Diploma program. With a deep commitment to quality and equity, the graduate diploma in higher education administration and leadership prepares you with knowledge that expands your understanding of international perspectives of learning and unique teaching environments.
The Teacher Leadership Graduate Diploma Program
Students interested in the diploma must apply to the Master of Education in Educational Leadership. Upon successful completion of 15 credits of the Master’s program, students will be eligible to receive the Teacher Leadership Graduate Diploma.
The Faculty of Education offers the Teacher Leadership Graduate Diploma as a component of the Master of Education in Educational Leadership (MEDL) program. This unique program will help prepare and equip school and system leaders to lead contemporary schools with a significant emphasis on new conceptions of learning and a deep commitment to quality and equity. Features of the program include a focus on international perspectives on learning, innovative learning environments, teamwork with lead colleagues and districts and the opportunity to explore new knowledge through school and/or practice-based inquiry. The program is readily accessible to students who have entered the Master of Education in Educational Leadership program.
The courses required are part of the Master of Education in Educational Leadership (MEDL) program. Depending on the MEDL program option, course delivery will be online and/or face-to-face. Successful completion of the graduate diploma consists of completion of 15 credits chosen from the following courses:
- MEDL 500 - (Foundations of Educational Leadership)
- MEDL 550 - (Research in Education)
- MEDL 580 - (Leadership in the BC Context)
- MEDL 590 - (Leadership Values and Ethical Decision Making)
- MEDL 600 - (Educational Change)
- MEDL 650 - (Leading Learning)
Program Progression Requirements
- Students must maintain a minimum average of ‘B’ (3.0) in each semester of the program
- Students must receive a ‘CR’ grade in each course (where applicable)
- Any student who receives a grade below a ‘C+’ in an individual course is required to meet with the Program Coordinator and/or the Program Chair to create an action plan to improve academic performance.
- Should students receive a failing grade, they may retake up to 2 individual courses. If they are unsuccessful in a third course, or in a second attempt of the same course, they will be required to leave the program.
Graduates of this program will be well-poised to assume formal and informal leadership positions in the education sector.
When applying to the program, applicants will be charged a non-refundable application fee.
When applying to graduate, students will be charged a non-refundable graduation and alumni fee.
Some courses have additional fees to pay for extraordinary class–related expenses.
Textbooks and/or course packages are required for each course. Contact the Education Department at 250.740.6223 for further information regarding books and supplies.
All fees are subject to change without prior notice and are expected to increase by 2% each year on April 1.
Previous versions of this program can be found in the Program Archive.