Dominion Provincial Youth Training Centre

Facilities: 1940 - 1949

During WWII, the site of what would become Vancouver Island University was used as an army training camp. Facilities built to serve Camp Nanaimo would later be used as classrooms, workshops, and student dorms.

Students in this photo are building a grease ramp for the school in 1942.

Dominion-Provincial Youth Training Centre at Machleary and Campbell Streets, 1943.

Students and instructors contributed to the building of school facilities at Machleary and Campbell Streets. This school was housed in unused buildings on the Thomas Hodgson School property.

Jack Macready in the school's tool room, 1947.

MENU
CLOSE X